I won't complain.
I can't complain.
That's my new chant that I've developed recently. Because apparently, psychology is a killer course. And I thought I had it okay for me because I'm not doing medicine and I'll be able to escape the wrath of long hours of dissections or literally memorizing every single line on the textbook. I was wrong.
There have never been much occasions where I've been right. Truly.
The problem with my course is we have way too much reading. At least biology was fun and chemistry was predictable and physics can use calculators. But in effing psychology, we have to read what seems like endless research. And most of these research have the same aims, but why on EARTH did they have different results?! (Easy answer: Because thoughts and emotions are unpredictable so what governs one's motivation and emotion may not govern another.) Not to mention different methods, different subject samplings, different statistical analysis, pfft. Such fun I'm having.
I like the essence of psychology itself; finding out human's motivation and behavioural traits, case studies of interesting individuals such as Phineas Gage, explaining mental disabilities, bla-bla-bla. So yeah, the only part that I don't enjoy is journals.
And pet behaviour. Yes, we study pets. I can now train your dogs to respond to his name, sit, stand, fetch something. And I know the steps to toilet-train cats. I've never been fond of animals, so imagine me trying to figure out what is a Belgian shephard or fox terrier or collie or blah. And did I mention we had a guest speakers who brought in snakes, tarantulas, and some-other-scaly-reptiles-of-which-names-escaped-me-at-the-moment the other day? And I actually touched them (well, not the tarantulas of course, because obviously we weren't allowed to)? Why? Why did I put myself through that? ...It just looked cool at that moment I guess. And ball pythons are just so cute, by the way. OH MY GOODNESS WHAT AM I SAYING? HAVE DR. ALIA SUCCESSFULLY BRAINWASHED ME?!
And stats. I hate stats. Well, we don't actually do maths because we just put all the data into the computer and the computer will run the analysis for us. But I still hate trying to figure out the procedure of it all. I'd rather be doing additional maths or A-Level Mathematics (not that I took that subject) all over again.
Nevertheless, I really like psychology. And I'll study hard because I wanna get through to second semester, whereby we learn about emotions, social, developmental (popularly known as child psychology), organisational, and community mental health (I can't wait to start learning about syndromes!). And in second year, we'll be dissecting brains for Brain & Behaviours! YAY!
Everything doesn't look so bad in the end :) Well, except for that research methods test tomorrow, of course.
Labels: psych babble, Sunway stories

