The boys (Leslie, Roy, and Theo) and Adele were figuring out the chords to our second song for Saturday's competition. Christy and I were going to wrap some presents for the prize-giving ceremony. Maurice was still on his PSP =.='
Then the call came.
The music stopped abruptly. And Leslie shouted into his phone.
Leslie: WHAT?! ... You wait there, I'm coming.
He hung up and looked at Theo.
Leslie: Can you drive me to Sugarbun. My brother just had an accident.
I remembered my jaws dropping as soon as I heard the words. I can hear Christy murmuring 'Oh my God'.
Theo immediately checked his pockets for his car keys.
Theo: Damn it! Dexter took the keys with him!
Flashback:
It was 2.30 p.m. Dexter announced to us over the loud music that he had to go to tuition. Theo was supposed to send him, being the older brother. But we weren't about to let him go, the band still needed a lot of practice (he was the drummer).
Someone suggested for Marcel to drive him to his tuition centre. Marcel, who just got his license tow months earlier. Marcel, who is still not confident with his own driving skills.
I joked about it.
Mel: Who's gonna drive you??? Marcel??? OMGosh Dexter... Come pray with me. I pray for your safe journey to and fro. And please Lord, don't let them crash into anything or anyone.
Now that I think of it. It was such a stupid joke. Inconsiderate and totally insulting.
But it was meant to be a joke.
We all laughed it off, including Marcel and Dexter. And Leslie fished out his car keys from his pocket.
Again, I made another joke.
Mel: You're driving the Unser??? Don't la, yoou're still new. Don't drive big cars first, take the small one. After all you're sending Dexter... Go ask from Theo for his car keys. (Theo drives his family's Wira that afternoon instead of the Pajero)
Moments later, I saw Theo handing over his car keys to Dexter. And off the two went.
Leslie was agitated and started pacing. That's when he remembere Maurice came on his motorcycle. And so, Maurice and Leslie went to scene.
And Theo, Norman, Christy, and I waited. We called Theo's dad and asked him to bring the spare key to us.
And we waited a bit more.
I decided to call Marcel but he won't answer his phone. So, Theo called Dexter. And we heard it all.
Man: You listen here ah boi... I saw you trying to run away. Your face is red. Have you been drinking?!!!
Marcel: No! I didn't try to run away, I was just parking my car at the side. I didn't drink, honest!!!
He was crying.
That was the moment each and everyone of us knew, we just had to be there. For him. He's family and for this family, we stick together -- by hook or by crook.
So I called my brother, Eric, who was also having his tuition at the same place as Dexter -- near Sugarbun. I told him to go down and give support to Marcel and Dexter.
Then Christy called her sister, Farah, also having her tuition there.
At this moment, Marcel needed all the moral support he can get.
Then, Theo's dad finally arrived. And Theo speeded through the traffic and we got there. By the time we arrived, there was already a crowd. And also the police were there.
We stood by him as we waited for his mother to arrive. I even called my dad (since my dad is Marcel's mom's brother).
And we even went along with him to the police station as they took his statements.
While waiting at the police station, Theo's parent arrived. And then, my cousin, Sammy, arrived.
And I couldn't help but though to myself,
If I ever kill somebody, I would want to be in this family :):)
Everyone who could be there was there. For any kind of support.
Yup, that is my family.
Note: It was a self-accident. Property was damaged but no one was hurt in the accident. And despite my advice, Marcel took the Unser that day instead if the Wira. Turns out, Dexter took the keys from Theo only to get his bag.
Note: Leslie, Marcel and Norman are brothers. Theo and Dexter are brothers. Christy and Farah are sisters. And Eric and I are siblings. -- Just to clear the whole relationship-confusion.
Note: Leslie always drive his family's Unser. And Theo either drives the family's Pajero or Wira.
Labels: family drama

