Heroes Gone Wild
Monday, March 30, 2009 || 2 comments.
HEROES

I just watched the very first chapter of Heroes’ Volume 4: Fugitives. And I can’t help myself but to think--Is it just me or is ‘Heroes’ going X-Men.? Hmm, let’s see the checklist…

(Please note that I’ll be using the movie version for X-Men.)

***

The brothers of Heroes; check!

X-Men: Erik Lensherr & Charles Xavier

Xavier and Magneto

Erik & Charles may not be brothers by blood but the complicated I-love-you-as-a-brother-but-I’ll-kill-you-if-I-have-to relationship was something similar to brotherhood.

Heroes: Nathan & Peter Petrelli

Nathan and Peter Petrelli

Bonded by blood (and DNA), Nathan & Peter were first introduced as I-might-not-look-like-it-but-I-do-care-about-you brothers. They also present to us the same love-hate relationship that we had had the pleasure of watching in X-Men between Erik & Charles.


A hero gone wrong; check!

X-Men: Erik Lensherr a.k.a Magneto

MAGNETO

Once an ally of Xavier, Erik’s different belief that human & mutant can never co-exist led to the end of Xavier’s and Erik’s brotherhood. Erik wanted to make the world a better place for mutants and he believes that the road to mutant’s freedom is the annihilation of humanity.

He was an idealist of his own kind. A hero to his people. But a monster in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Heroes: Senator Nathan Petrelli

Nathan Petrelli

What makes Nathan & Erik different is that they fought for different kinds. Erik fought to make the world a better place for the gifted by destroying the non-gifted, the normies should I say? Nathan on the other hand, wanted to make the world a safer place for human by controlling the gifted, or should I say the freaks?

But somehow, neither realized that they were doing it in such a monstrous way, at least that’s my opinion (and I’m sure yours too), unless you’re some power-hungry freak (no offense).


A hero till the end; check!

X-Men: Charles Xavier


XAVIER

Charles Xavier claimed to be the protagonist of the story, but to Erik’s Brotherhood, he was the antagonist, to go against his own kind. Charles believes that the world could be a better place if everyone could just live together happily ever after. Wakey, wakey! Sadly, Charles had two contenders against him.

On one side; we have Magneto & his weird bunch of so-called brothers. On the other side of the ring; humans who wanted to make their own world safe, or maybe they just enjoy a good ole war.

Nevertheless, Charles is a hero at heart, a hero till the end.

Heroes: Peter Petrelli

Peter Petrelli

Again, difference in opinions led to the breakdown of the Petrelli’s brotherhood. And like Charles, Peter assumes that it is his responsibility to save mankind from his brother. Unlike Charles, Nathan’s the one with the money.

Well, look at the bright side, he’s wayyyy good looking than Xavier, wayyyyy younger, has wayyyyyyy useful power (with an ‘s’)--I mean seriously, how useful can a telepathic be when it comes to hand-to-hand combat?, and he has hair!


The bad guys; definite check!

X-Men: Magneto’s Brotherhood of Mutants

Brotherhood of Mutants

The villains & villainess of the story unites under one roof in the name of the Brotherhood of Mutants. Wait, did I get that right? I’m sorry, I’m not THAT INTO X-Men.

Heroes: Changes every volume

Arthur Petrelli

In every volume of ‘Heroes’, we got a different main villain.

Volume 1 it was mainly Sylar, the brooding hot (and psychotic) anti hero.

Volume 2, you can say that it was Primatech and The Company.

Volume 3, it was Pinehearst with Arthur Petrelli as yours truly mastermind. (Why does all the company, except for The Company --what kind of name is that anyway?--, starts with the alphabet ‘p’?)

Volume 4, it looks like we have a candidate… Drum roll, please. Nathan Petrelli!

I kinda like the whole changing-the-main-villain idea that’s going on in ‘Heroes’. We never knew what’s coming, or should I say, THEY never knew what’s coming?


The pretty (and good) girl; oh yes, check! (No pretty girl, no men would watch)


X-Men: Jean ‘Perfect Girl Next Door’ Grey & Ororo ‘Storm’ Munroe

Ororo Munroe

In X-Men movie verse, we can say that the pretty girl would be Jean Grey--no surprise there. Since she’s so hot and got bad boy Wolverine drooling over her as well as good boy Cyclops going after her. But in the finale of the trilogy, ‘The Last Stand’, the role shifted to Ororo Munroe--Storm to fellow X-Men mania--since Jean turned into the vengeful, fiery, yet still hot (now literally) Phoenix.

Yet, the good girl’s role always is the same, to lead our main hero to the right path. In the first two, Jean was the reason that Wolverine always came back (I’m sure we can all agree on this fact).

In the final addition to the X-Men trilogy, it was Storm that confronted Wolverine and demanded that he make a choice and does the right thing.

Heroes: Claire ‘The Sweetest Damn Thing’ Bennet

Claire Bennet

Come on, boys. Admit it. The reason you tune in to ‘Heroes’ week after week is not just to catch the tight stunts and mean explosions. Secretly, and deep down, you wanted to catch a glimpse of Claire; sweet daughter, hot cheerleader, and a heroine that could pack a mean punch (maybe not that mean).

Claire’s role in ‘Heroes’ is significant since she links everyone with well, basically everyone. Plus, she’s the one with the evil bio-dad so she can easily give infos to her Uncle Peter (whom she used to date in the real world--welcome to Hollywood, land of dreams-come-true and land where you can date someone twice your age).


The good/bad guy--MUST check!

X-Men: Wolverine

Wolverine

Do I really need to explain this one???

In X-Men, Wolverine appears to be the conflicted characters. He seemed to be among the righteous group and yet he acted like he's all bad and cool.

In the beginning, he is the bad guy (as Jean Grey said); scaring people away, being the lone ranger of the group, acting cold to the rest of the school, swearing at Xavier, picking fights with Cyclops. But in the end, when he needed to make a choice, he always made the right one.

Plus, he's delicious ;p

Heroes: Take a wild guess...

SYLAR

Let me give you some hints. He's scary. He's hot. And, he had this thing with Elle Bishop but then he killed her.

Gabriel Sylar.

Till now, I haven't decide whether he's good or he's bad. But he's surely hot ;) And bloody hell, I love the guy! He seriously need to make up his mind... So that I can follow him and root for his side--good or evil.

***

So you see… When it comes to a world of superheroes and supervillains, the story never runs too far from each other. There’s always a line that draws them together. The only difference would be the characters themselves. But then, we still come back for more.

Oh yes, I am a fan of ‘Heroes’. My favourite ‘Heroes’ would be Gabriel Sylar. Just because he’s hot and psychotic, oh yes. As for X-Men, I am an addict for its movie version, since comics are out-of-date for my generation. Seriously, people, it’s the era of CGIs and effects. Don’t fool yourself.

P/S: I am so excited for ‘Wolverine’! Premiering in May. Make sure you catch it!

Labels:


Melzie
ahjumma . duckzie . dragon mom . davohkiin





about me
melzie. twenty. malaysian. christian. 1st year psychology student. original. don't bite. but slap asses. still waiting for toby hemingway. ...more?

watching
how i met your mother. game of thrones. switched at birth. glee. bones. criminal minds. most korean tv shows.

favorites
harry potter. shoes. chatime. snowflakes. x-men. hugh jackman. orange. handbags. sushi. skyrim. shoes (yes, again).

friends
they are still my muse :)


»Willy
»Ricky
»Eric
»Amy
»Corine
»Jeanette
»Edwin
»Maegyvear
»KTT CF
»Farah
»Jin Xiang
»Nader
»Loon Han
»Karen
»Keshan
»Daniel
»Geraldine
»I-Vonne
»Rachel
»Wayne
»Sofie
»Shu Zhao
»Rudy
»Chii


" trust your heart when the seas catch fire and live by love though the stars walk backward "


Pages
+Follow
Refresh



«Newer posts
Older posts»


(still) defying gravity