Day To Day
Saturday, March 28, 2009 || 8 comments.
Here's the day-to-day post I promised before. (Partly dedicated to Bookmade who persuaded me to quickly finish it up and post it. Rileks la, dude...)

---

Day One

First day.
Feeling: Nervous but excited.
Friend list: One (Munirah)... since Jacquelyn came in late.

We were divided into three groups. As usual, with no shame what-so-ever, I volunteered to become group leader. As usual, I had no idea what I was getting into.

We had a briefing with Dr. Chin, Director of Hospital Sibu. He looked so serious and yet, his voice was so comforting and calm. He's cool I guess.

Followed by a simple orientation around the hospital. Nothing special.

After tea break, whereby they did prepare food for us, we were taken to A & E (Accident & Emergency) but now E & T (Emergency & Trauma).

Oooo, next one was good. The mortuary (I can actually hear the background music going dum-dum-dum~)!

Lucky us (maybe not so lucky for some) there was a fresh body. Hit & run accident. Male.

-I edited this part already. As part of the whole doctor-patient confidentiality.-

Talking about the mortuary, I think I should mention that there was one participant, male nonetheless, stopped coming the days to follow. Poor guy, must be quite a horror to him. But we had a good laugh on him. Hahaha XD Ehem. Bad Melissa, should not laugh at poor guy who was scared off by the non-living!


Day Two

Feeling: Bloody excited. I was practically jumping in my seat.

Met my team at the hospital lobby, minus the two PLKNs who were late. Here's the name list for my Group 2:

-Yours truly, moi, (Me lah!) as group leader, of course.
-Munirah of St. Elizabeth. My very setia punya pengikut.
-Caroline Jhayssy of Kampung Nangka. The only other Iban among the 40 of us. My pengikut setia also.
-Johnny Goh of Sacred Heart. One of my pengikut setia. Where I go, he goes. Haha. Very good friend!
-Suk Ching. Final member of my pengikut setia. She came in late but clicked with us instantly.
-Anita of Tiong Hin. The first friend I made in the programme.
-Yun Yun of Methodist.
-Elaine of Deshon.
-Heng Seng of Deshon @ Big Mouth. He talked a lot when we first met.
-Shu Zhao of Deshon @ Small Mouth. Or should it be No Mouth? Seriously, the dude doesn't talk AT ALL!
-Teck Siang.
-Ah Chee of Seafield, Selangor. The PLKN guy. Very nice dude, or not so nice. Will make a good doctor in my opinion.
-Seok Kuan of Seafield, Selangor. The PLKN girl.
-Kevin of Chung Hua.

For the second day, we were attached to Male & Female Surgical & Orthopedic. Nothing special at Male & Female. Just that I get touchy every time I pass relatives taking care of the ills. Reminded me of the last two months with my dear aunt.

At Ortho, we witnessed two POP sessions. POP stands for pop. Haha XD Just kidding of course. POP stands for Plaster of Paris. Orang Malaysia cakap simen lah...

-I edited this part already. As part of the whole doctor-patient confidentiality.-

Dr. Justin was very entertaining. He shared various informations with us. Also, he's "kind" enough to reveal to us the truth regarding medical schools and on-call hours.

We had on-call till 10 pm at Male Surgical. Kevin & Johnny joked around saying how "fun" on-call is. We had a tiring day even though we practically did nothing.

But, by the end of the day, we had a good time. At least I know I did.


Day Three

Feeling: The best moments of the programme!

On the third day, we were attached to the Maternity Ward; Ante Natal (sebelum melahirkan anak), Labour Room (melahirkan anak), and Post Natal (selepas melahirkan anak).

There was one patient on labour while we were there. We were allowed to watch it, two person at a time. Ah Chee and I partnered up and we were first to go in since others were hesitated.

-I edited this part already. As part of the whole doctor-patient confidentiality.-

The rest of the day was quite boring. We spent our three hours at Post Natal poking at babies and talking to the mothers. As for Ante Natal, we just sat down and talk among ourselves and had a laugh every now and then... Ok, we actually laugh most of the time.


Day Four

Feeling: Less excited.

We were supposed to stay in Ante Natal for five hours today (eyes rolled). So we asked the group if they would like to go to Specialist's Clinic. And with a full support, I went to see SN (Staff Nurse) Lucy for permission, accompanied by my three pengikut setia. Hehe... And we got a green light.

Specialist Clinic was quite cool. We went to Orthopedic Clinic and Dr. Justin was there. So we get to watched the process of removing the POP cast. Then we went to Gynae Clinic whereby Johnny had a fearful and shocking encounter with a life-sized doll. Freaky... At the Ear Clinic, we get quite a lot of information from the available Audiologist. At the Eye Clinic, we also get to see some cool stuff since an Optometrist was around.

Unfortunately we didn't get to see all the clinics since some of the clinics were closed. So when our time was up, we sadly returned to Ante Natal.

In the evening, we were attached at E & T (Emergency Trauma). Confidential, confidential, confidential... Nothing much here, except we got sore feet for standing up too long.

For our on-call session, we were attached at Labour Room where the nurses on the evening shift dissed us off. Sigh, suka sangat la menyindir tu... But we had a good time, preparing for our interview in the next week.


Day 5

Final Day.
Feeling: Okay-okay la... Not so happy, not so sad.

Today we were attached at Gynae Ward. Whereby we were orientated but then left alone at the Staff Pantry where we stayed for the next two hours. Yawn, boring~

In the evening, after the closing ceremony, we had a fun time taking pictures with the nurses. Got bullied since I was short T.T I'm telling you, teens nowadays are sooo evil!

---

And that was it, I guess. By Friday, my friend list was 20+. It was a good experience--living prove that a job in the medicine world is not at all glamorous and far away from highly-paid, most likely underpaid. It needs a lot of sacrifices, a lot of effort, a lot of time, a lot of interest.

Yet, at the end of the day, this is still what I wanted to do.

Labels:


Melzie
ahjumma . duckzie . dragon mom . davohkiin





about me
melzie. twenty. malaysian. christian. 1st year psychology student. original. don't bite. but slap asses. still waiting for toby hemingway. ...more?

watching
how i met your mother. game of thrones. switched at birth. glee. bones. criminal minds. most korean tv shows.

favorites
harry potter. shoes. chatime. snowflakes. x-men. hugh jackman. orange. handbags. sushi. skyrim. shoes (yes, again).

friends
they are still my muse :)


»Willy
»Ricky
»Eric
»Amy
»Corine
»Jeanette
»Edwin
»Maegyvear
»KTT CF
»Farah
»Jin Xiang
»Nader
»Loon Han
»Karen
»Keshan
»Daniel
»Geraldine
»I-Vonne
»Rachel
»Wayne
»Sofie
»Shu Zhao
»Rudy
»Chii


" trust your heart when the seas catch fire and live by love though the stars walk backward "


Pages
+Follow
Refresh



«Newer posts
Older posts»


(still) defying gravity